Thursday 3 December 2009

The meaning of "service"

Lately, I have been embroiled in a frustrating dialogue with a company called ... well, maybe I'll identify it at some future point. Suffice it to say, for now, that this organisation claims to have served more than one million consumers to their complete satisfaction. Its raison d'ĂȘtre is the repair of white goods.

Only since it failed to satisfy me have I discovered the wealth of web sites upon which there is ample evidence that I am not the first to be rendered less than fully gruntled by its inability to fulfill its promises.

This lack of service, from a service organisation, has been exacerbated by its apparent reluctance to communicate either internally or with the customer. Having spent a couple of decades working in communications, I am not impressed. Those readers who know me will be unsurprised at my willingness to escalate; I now await further contact from somebody rejoicing in the title of "Director of Warranty Services." As yesterday morning's promise to, "respond by close of play today," turned out to mean an 18:16 email, I'm hardly holding my breath.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment